Abandoned ireland

 

Coppinger's Court

West Cork

Documenting our Heritage


Coppinger's Court was built by Sir Walter Coppinger in the early 17th century. Sir Walter was a considerable person in his time. He appears to have been a money-lender who acquired considerable estates by mortgage - and other less reputable means. He surrendered his considerable estates to King James 1st in 1616 and on regrant was given rights of Courts Leet & Baron. Sir Walter intended building a town at the Coppinger's Court site, based on the harbour at Millcove but this was scuppered by the 1641 Rebellion when Coppinger's Court was ransacked and partially burnt down.


Coppinger's Court was a 4-storey house consisting of a central block flanked by two fortified square blocks on the east side and with another in the centre of the west side. There are some mullioned windows on the top floor on the western side, while there are well-preserved turrets on the southern side and at the north-western corner just below the parapets. The chimney stacks are well preserved. The kitchen appears to have been in an extension at the NE corner where there is an oven. A low walled enclosure runs SE from the building.


So impressive was this house that it was said to have had a window for every day of the year, a chimney for every week and a door for every month.


Sir Walter Coppinger is remembered, probably wrongly, as an awful despot who lorded it over the district, hanging anyone who disagreed with him from a gallows on a gable end of the Court.


Links:


Surrender and Regrant

The English inititive to assimilate Gaelic Ireland into something akin the political and constitutional system of England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_and_regrant


Court Leet, Court Baron

Juiristictional rights - Court Baron, exercising strictly manorial rights, and the Court Leet, depending for its jurisdiction upon royal franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_leet

Coppinger’s
Court,
West Cork
Photos
cc_1.html
cc.html

Home
start.html