Abandoned ireland

 

Slevoy Castle
Co. Wexford.

Documenting our Heritage

The ancient castle of Slevoy was built by the Rossiter family. John Rossiter had been part of Stongbow's force of 2000 mercenaries who invaded Ireland in 1179. For his services, Rossiter was knighted and granted the Baronies of Forth and Bargy in County Wexford, he soon set about building a series of castles to protect his land.


Thomas Rossiter, born in 1612 became a prominent member of the Wexford Confederates. He took part in the siege of Duncan Fort in 1643 and when this evidence was used against him by the Cromwell’s Commissioners, he forfeited all his Wexford estates and found himself transplanted to Connaught. Thomas Rossiter later drowned whilst on a voyage to France. His two sons John and Walter were reinstalled at Rathmacknee Castle, Co. Wexford after the 1662 Act of Settlement.


In March 1766 John Pigott obtained a perpetual lease of the lands of Slevoy from Charles Tottenham of Tottenham Green. The Pigott's built a large mansion house around the old Slevoy Castle tower. The Slevoy estate was inherited by John's first son Thomas, a vicar of St James's in Dublin. Thomas sold the estate to his brother William in 1746. William Piggot was High Sherriff in 1771. He married Hannah, daughter of Jacob Goff of Horetown, Wexford but they had no children. When William died in 1788 the estate was inherited by his grand-nephew William Pemberton and as a condition of the inheritance, William Pemberton assumed the additional name Pigott, becoming William Pemberton-Pigott. William Pemberton-Pigott was High Sherriff in 1794, a Justice of the Peace, Colonel of the Wexford Militia and also the master of the Wexford Hunt Club.


The Slevoy estate was inherited by George Powell Pemberton-Pigott and then Colonel Edward Charles Pemberton-Pigott. The Colonel served in the Crimea, India, the Chinese War of 1860 and the Nile Expedition of 1884 to 1886. The Colonel’s son, Lieutenant Charles Caesar Pigott died and was buried at sea aged 32 years.


By 1911 the Slevoy estate was occupied by Patrick Monaghan, age 58, farmer and his wife Annie Monaghan, age 42. Their son James Monaghan, age 17 helped working the farm along with a nephew, also named James Monaghan and one agricultural labourer Dillon William. The Monaghan’s had one servant in the house, Mary Linnon, age 20.


Slevoy Castle and the mansion house were later abandoned and a modern farm house built on the estate.


Today the Pigott's mansion house has almost entirely disappeared and the remains of Rossiter's ancient castle are left to slowly crumble.



This article is the copyright of Tarquin Blake, Abandoned Ireland, and may not be reproduced in any form without permission.


Home
start.html
Slevoy Castle,
Co. Wexford
Page
1Slevoy_Castle_1.html
Slevoy_Castle.html