Abandoned ireland

 

Mount Talbot House,

Co. Roscommon.

Documenting our Heritage

Sir Henry Talbot, descended from the Talbots of Malahide intended to purchase 1000 acres of land as part of Thomas Wentworth’s (Lord Deputy of Ireland) plan to make money for his master King Charles.


However Wentworth’s plan was disrupted when instead Cromwell came and Sir Henry Talbot found himself transplanted to the very lands that he had previously hoped to buy. The O’Kellys who previously held the lands had fought against Cromwell and then had to leave Ireland at the end of the war.


Sir Henry Talbot took possession of the lands, previously called ‘Cluain na Gclai’ in 1656, renamed them ‘Mount Talbot’ and held them until 1921.


The Talbots changed their religion and continued to hold the lands after the treaty of Limerick. They grew steadily wealthier and built Mount Talbot House in 1749. A Palladian House with the wings set at 45 degrees and joined to the centre block by curved open arcades.


The Talbots also built the Protestant Church in 1766, containing the family mausoleum.


Around 1820 the centre block was remodelled in an impressive Gothic style. The centre block had a massive square tower at one end and a pair of turrets in the centre and a third turret at the other end.


The garden front had a three bay front with pointed windows and Gothic pinnacles. Mount Talbot was considered a truly exceptional country residence.


The Talbots lived in great style from the Famine to the First World War in 1914.

Mr. Talbot owned the first car in Roscommon.


From about 1890 John and his brother James Galvin ran the Galvin nursery in the grounds of Mount Talbot House.


Mount Talbot was burnt during The Troubles in 1922.


Mount Talbot House, together with adjoining lands containing 158 acres, was resold by the Land Commission under purchase agreement dated 11th June, 1928, to Mr. M.J.Kelly of Ballygar, for a price of £1,300, of which £300 was a cash payment. The 158 acres were considered a very inferior quality as comprising 80 acres plantation, 10 water, 58 acres low-lying pasture liable to floods, and only 10 acres of the entire area as arable land.


Remarkably Mount Talbot House was only registered as a protected structure in 2007 after stones from the house were found being sold off.


Today Mount Talbot stands as an impressive ruin, but just a shadow of it’s former grandeur.


Home
start.html
MountTalbot.html
Mount Talbot House,
Roscommon
Page
1MountTalbot_1.html
Page
2MountTalbot_2.html
Page
3MountTalbot_3.html