Abandoned ireland

 

Barnagh Station,

Co. Limerick.

Documenting our Heritage

Barnagh Station was located on the Great Southern and Western Railway (GSWR) Limerick to Tralee line, also known as the North Kerry Line. The line from Limerick to Tralee opened in 1880 and continued as a passenger service until 1963 and as a goods only service until 1977.

The track lay in a derelict state until it was removed in 1988.


In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, The Great Southern and Western Railway (GSWR) was the largest railway company in Ireland. The main GSWR line was the Cork to Dublin main line, which still operates today.


In 1925 GSWR was amalgamated with all the other railways operating within the Irish Free State to form the Great Southern Railways. In 1945, further amalgamation with the Grand Canal Company and the Dublin United Tramway Company brought about the creation of Córas Iompair Éireann, the Irish State Transport Company. CIÉ was nationalised in 1950, and then broken up into separate rail and road interests in 1987 when Iarnród Eireann  (Irish Rail) was formed.


Home
start.html
Barnagh
Station,
Co. Limerick






















Phoenix_House.html
Page
1Barnagh_Station_1.html
Page
2Barnagh_Station_2.html
Barnagh_Station.html
1902
Route
MapBarnagh_Station_3.html