Abandoned ireland

 

Affane Church

Co. Waterford.

Documenting our Heritage

AFFANE, a parish, in the barony of DECIES-without-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, on the mail road from Waterford, through Youghal, to Cork.


This place, called anciently Arthmean, or Aghmean, was, in 1564, the scene of a battle between the Earls of Desmond and Ormonde, in which the Earl of Ormonde was defeated with the loss of 280 of his men.


It is chiefly distinguished as containing Dromana, which was for a long time the chief seat of the

Fitz-geralds of the Decies, who were descendants of James, the seventh Earl of Desmond, and one of whom, in 1569, was created "Baron of Dromany and Viscount Desses" which titles became extinct at his decease.


His nephew and second successor in the estate entertained at this place the celebrated Sir Walter Raleigh, who introduced here a fine species of cherry, which has continued to flourish in the neighbourhood to the present day, and is still in high estimation.


The church described in 1837 as ‘a neat building’ was erected by the late Board of First Fruits, who  granted a loan of £500, in 1819 for its construction.

Affane
Church,
Waterford
Page
1AffaneChurch_1.html

Home
start.html
Page
2AffaneChurch_2.html
AffaneChurch.html